HomePress InquiriesNewsContact UsCourt FormsLocal RulesFines/Costs (pdf)FeesUnclaimed Funds (pdf)EEOPJobsAnnual ReportCounty Site

Hamilton County Juvenile Court Cincinnati, Ohio
800 BROADWAY:   JudgesAdministrationBuilding DirectoryHoursFAQsCourt History

Frequently Asked Questions

Case Status

Q. How do I find an attorney?

A. A party may be represented by counsel in all proceedings in Juvenile Court. If a party is indigent, a request may be made for counsel by contacting the Hamilton County Public Defender's Office located at 800 Broadway, 1st Floor, Monday-Friday between 8:30am and 3:30pm. 

The Cincinnati Bar Association can provide a referral to an attorney. Go to www.cincybar.org or call 513-381-8359, the Attorney Referral Service direct line. 

Q. How can I check on the status of my charge? Can I review case files?

A. Come to 800 Broadway during business hours (Weekdays 8:00am to 4:00 pm) with proper identification to request the information. Any party to the case may review the legal file.

Q. When will the Court reach a decision in my case?

A. Each case is decided on its own merit. A decision will be made after all parties have presented evidence and/or testimony. 

Q. How are Judges assigned to cases?

A. Case assignment is determined by Ohio Supreme Court rules, which mandate that the cases are assigned randomly.

Q. How do I file an objection or an appeal?

A. You have several options depending upon what you are objecting to or appealing.

1. Motion to Set Aside a Magistrate's Order: A party may file a written motion requesting that the Judge set aside a Magistrate's Order within ten days of the order being entered. The motion must state the specific reason(s) for the request. See Juv. R. 40(D)(2)(b) and Civ. R. 53(D)(2)(b).

2. Objection to a Magistrate's Decision: A party may file written objections to a Magistrate's Decision within 14 days of the decision being entered. The objection must state the specific reason(s) for the objection. If the objection is to a factual finding, a party must provide a transcript of the proceedings, if available, within 30 days of filing the objection. See Juv. R. 40(D)(3)(b) and Civ. R. 53(D)(3)(b).

A party shall not assign as error on appeal the Court's adoption of any factual finding or legal conclusion, whether or not specifically designated as a finding of fact or conclusion of law under Juv. R. 40(D)(3)(a)(ii), unless the party timely and specifically objects to that factual finding or legal conclusion as required by Juv. R. 40(D)(3)(b). See Juv. R. 40(D)(3)(b)(iv) and Civ. R. 53(D)(3)(b)(iv).

3. Appeal of a Judge's Final Order or Judgment: A party may appeal to the 1st District Court of Appeals by filing a notice of appeal in the Juvenile Court Clerk's Office within 30 days of the order or judgment.

Hamilton County Juvenile Court     •     800 Broadway     •     Cincinnati, Ohio 45202